The Process of Planning a Successful Building Project
As a construction professional, whether you’re a builder, a contractor, supplier, or whatever profession you may have, you definitely have the upper-hand on how to go about planning and constructing a brand new building project.
For construction building projects, it doesn’t matter whether you’re a professional, building a formal property, or a complete newcomer to the scene, we’re sure you can get the hang of how to go about seeing a project through from start to finish.
The process of any given construction project requires a lot of planning and hard work. Unless you know what you’re doing, you’ll also have to do your research properly prior to starting with a project.
Steps to Building a Successful Construction Project:
- Choose a professional that specializes in design, or better yet, a design team – While not everybody can afford a design team, everybody can consult a designer, which either work independently or for architectural design firms. It doesn’t matter whether you have an idea of how you’d like your house to look, or not, you still need to consult a designer who specializes in the structural design of either residential or commercial property, and not only someone that works on floor plans, such as bathrooms, kitchens or electrical plans. It’s always better to get a professional to work and complete the entire design of your home, instead of getting a few designers that send you individual invoices for different parts of your home.
- Create a solid plan – Once you’ve chosen a design firm to design your project, you must choose a plan that supports your design goals. Design plans are referred to as a schematic designs, and involve a layout of the floor in your plan, the different rooms, along with a simple view of each part of the exterior part of your home. Deciding on a proper design plan often takes a few weeks.
- Find contractors – Once a schematic design has been chosen, you can hire contractors that can successfully carry out your construction project. At this point, you’ll be able to figure out what your home will look like from both the inside and outside, select the right types of materials, the type of floor that will be installed into your home, and thus, a rough estimate of the cost thereof. Upon interviewing different contractors, you can ask them to give you an estimation of the cost and compare their quotes next to each other.
- It’s time to purchase materials, equipment and interior furniture – In most cases, your designer will ask or advise you about the materials, equipment, and furniture required to commence a building plan. By making a list of what you need to buy, you’ll be able to see whether what you’re planning for, fits your budget.
- Attain a permit and start building – Depending on the location of your new home or building and the size thereof, your permit can take anywhere from a day to a few months, and even years to process. Prior to filing for a permit, you have to ensure you’re aware of the duration it will take to process, as well as the cost thereof. The last thing you want to do is commence construction on a home or building, that will take years to approve.
Get your business listed in our South Africa construction company directory today!